Thread: Fingers

Default Fingers

I went to Morzine last August and my fingers got really beaten up due to the braking bumps. I could still ride but they swelled up and remained consistently painful till now really, my problem is that the pain comes back when i ride, especially on rocky tracks, which makes sense.

Now, I can't be bothered talking to a doctor so i was wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and how best to reduce the pain. The actual area which is really painful is between the fist knuckle and the next one along on the bottom of the thickest part of my fingers.

And before you ask, yes i had deployed the 'Death Grip' all week.

Any help would be great.

Make sure your brakes are set up right - try and get it so that the lever comes in a fair bit before it engages the brake. And when you're on the bike, try and relax your fingers when you can on smooth sections of trail.

I used to get that kinda pain quite badly (for months afterwards as well) but these things seem to help. I guess if you spend 10 days doing something that's pretty hard on your fingers then your fingers are gonna hurt in any case!
    Element 9 Graphics - Custom Helmet Paint
    kaigadesign.com

Just in case anyone ever looks to this for help in the future, I got a powerball, got thicker grips (Sunline ones) and adjusted my levers (thanks craigquik) and it has helped. A LOT.

I see alot of folk with levers rotated quite far down. Accepted knowledge has it that your levers are meant to be in line with your arms when you're in the attack position.

I don't find this is at all helpful. For starters, when you're hauling on the brakes generally you're further towards the back of the bike driving the wheels in to the ground, not in the attack position; and secondly even when you're not braking you should be riding with the palm of your hand behind the bar, not on top, so that your drive the bike through the rough.

By rotating your levers upwards (not horizontal but maybe 30 degress off horizontal), you don't have to reach over the bars to brake but can ride with your palms behind the bars and your fingers on the trigger.

By riding with your palms behind the bars you take some of the load off your fingers. Another benefit is that this rotation of your wrists encourages you to stick your elbows out (not to be tried at the dinner table mind).

All this stuff is pretty subtle when trail riding (though it's still beneficial) but for several days in the gnarl it makes a huge difference. I learnt it in BC on trails with encouraging names like "Arm Pump" :-D

There's a good article on this in IMB many issues back:
    http://www.imbikemag.com/issue2/?page=99